OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFTEY POLICY
WEST INDIAN ENERGY GROUP LTD. (WIEGL) is committed to providing a safe workplace by eliminating conditions and incidents that could result in occupational injury or ill health. The Company requires its activities to conform to relevant statutory requirements and established work practices. Our employees are our most valuable asset, and their safety and health is our first priority. Safety is essential to all business functions and is never compromised under any circumstance. Every employee has a responsibility to maintain his/her work environment by reporting hazards and working towards preventing accidents.
- To ensure that no employee is assigned to a job without the necessary training.
- To provide adequate control of the health and safety risks arising from our work activities.
- To provide information, instructions and supervision for employees.
- To establish a safety and health programme that emphasises the integration of safety and health into each job task.
- To consult with our employees on matters affecting their health and safety.
- To provide accident and near miss investigation procedures to determine the cause and the actions required to prevent a recurrence.
- To require safety and health orientation for new and/or transferred employees, timely and appropriate training, a management/employee safety committee, and a self-inspection programme.
- To provide and maintain safe plant and equipment.
- To develop a Personal Proactive Equipment (PPE) code of practice that addresses the hazards present in work activities, the selection, maintenance and use of PPE, training of employees and monitoring programmes to ensure its ongoing effectiveness.
- To develop systems to review and revise documents as necessary at regular intervals, to evaluate their success in meeting and surpassing regulatory requirements so that deficiencies can be identified.
The Company expects employees and contractors to comply with its occupational safety and health policies, procedures and guidelines, and to conduct themselves in a safe manner, by not placing themselves or others at risk. The Company is also responsible for providing a safe and healthy environment for its visitors and members of the public who may come to its premises or who may be affected by the Company’s activities. Contractors working on the Company’s premises are also required to conduct their activities in a manner that ensures the safety, health and welfare of all.